Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Is street harassment worse in France?

I'm a New Yorker living in France and I was wondering if you had any information/statistics/articles on street harassment in France. The reason I'm inquiring is because, yes, obviously as a woman (of color) I've experienced this type of thing everywhere, but I've seriously never experienced it to the degree that I do in France and I'm wondering what is up. Just today, during my 1.5 hour trip grocery shopping, I was followed by a guy who kept telling me I was elegant, a guy stopped dead in his tracks to watch me walk by, a guy yelled from across the street that I was "ravishing", a guy purposely (and obviously) went out of his way to brush up against me while with his WIFE in the pasta aisle, and the finale: a man waiting at a stop light in his car psssssssssst-ed and called me over.. as if!! I'm tired of people telling me I should feel complimented or that it's because I'm attractive or because of what I'm wearing. I hadn't showered, had no make up on, had my hair up and was wearing a T-shirt, cardigan, jeans, flats. It's seriously at the point where I HATE leaving my house and it doesn't help that a month ago a guy in a secluded area of a park approached me and lifted up my skirt. I've started warning friends that I can't stay out past dark bc I already know I WILL BE harassed by someone on my way home. I want to think that there's no difference in male privilege/entitlement between the two countries, but my experience is telling me otherwise. I have never felt so intimidated by this type of harassment.

Submitted by Sabriya

EDITOR'S NOTE: We don't speak french, but if you know of any resources please send them to us and we'll pass them along to Sabriya.

No comments:

Post a Comment