Monday, August 16, 2010

"Too good to talk to me, bitch?"

So here I am in Boston, 17 years old, not at all expecting harassment as I've lived in a small Midwestern town with a population of 8,000 my entire life. I stayed out late in the city with friends and then had to take the train out to the end of the line, and then a bus back to the North Shore. SO I get off the train, walk up to the (completely deserted) bus stop by the highway in the dark, and there's this young, very greasy-haired guy standing up there, and as I walk past him he starts going all, "Hi sweetie, hi baby, come over and sit by me. What, you won't talk to me? Too good to talk to me, bitch?" and so on and so forth. I tried to stand as far away from him as I could, but I couldn't leave the stop because it was the last bus and I certainly didn't want to miss it and be stuck out on the highway all night. He kept muttering and cursing at me until finally some other passengers showed up, and he kind of melted back into the parking lot behind the stop.

I got home, really shaken up. There was no one here to talk to, so I got on the internet and just typed "street harassment" into the search engine, and found Hollaback. I didn't take a picture, I was so stunned by being harassed for the first time ever that I didn't even tell him to fuck off; besides, I didn't want to make him angry. But I felt so dirty the whole way home, and so shaken, and it feels a little better to send this off into a cyber-void having gotten it off my chest to people who will care.

Submitted by Katherine

Note: Hollaback accepts posts from around the world in places where other Hollabacks do not exist. BUT! We are so happy to announce that it looks like HollabackBOSTON will be restarting in the next month or so. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment