Friday, August 6, 2010

17.

So this happened to me a couple of years ago, but it still bothers me so I felt like I should submit it. I was 17 at the time and walking down the street in my own neighborhood when two men in their mid thirties early forties pass by me and stop me. This was on a fairly crowded street during the daytime so I was a taken aback but not really scared. One of the men asks me how old I am, and without thinking I answer truthfully because I was so flustered by them stopping me. He then proceeds to say, "Oh man in a couple of months..." leers at me and walks away chuckling to his sidekick. I wish I had responded to him, and hadn't treated it like a joke when I told people about it later. I had no clue what to do, I mean what did he think? That if I was 18 that I would magically be interested in him, go somewhere with him? Sleep with him? How is it that he thought it was acceptable to treat me like on object just because I walked by him? No one should treat another human being that way let alone someone who stated they were underage. I don't walk on the streets for your pleasure, or dress for you, I don't live for you so don't interrupt my life because you feel you have the right to. If anything like that ever happens again to me that is what I hope I will say, followed by "You're an asshole."

Submitted by Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment