Friday, May 12, 2006

Were Those Guys Talking About Raping Me, or Was I Imagining Things?

Last night I was coming home around midnight after a study marathon and having all kinds of fun experiences with leering guys on the subway. It was like "Creepy Man Stare at Lauri" Day or something. My outfit was eye-catching -- a flowery dress that ended mid-thigh, tights, and corduroy jacket -- but not immodest. Basically it showed off my legs. Anyway, I get off at my stop in Astoria and these two guys behind me start talking about rape. Now, I can't be 100% sure about the exact content of their conversation, but it seemed that one of the guys was trying to convince the other guy that raping women was, you know, a bad thing. All the while, the avenue is barren. I'm getting a little bit concerned. "Why are they talking about this behind a woman who's walking by herself at midnight?" I wondered. "That's not so polite."

When I got to my house, one of the guys yelled out, "I'll get you next time." Now, was he yelling to his friend, or to me? I don't know. All I know is that now I feel even more threatened in my already leering-loving neighborhood, and will have to buy some mace. Great.

Astoria needs some serious street harrassment awareness training.

No comments:

Post a Comment