Saturday, September 27, 2008

Story from a Bike



I'm writing with a story that got me so mad, and I was so furious that I didn't have any recourse. I'm glad to have found this blog.

I recently began riding a bike around in Brooklyn. I'm a violin teacher. I dress like a teacher, and had my instrument and a backpack, and was wearing a helmet.

I swear to god, as I was riding in the bike lane on Pacific Avenue in Prospect Heights, a truck driver literally BARKED at me. Repeatedly.

As traffic went forward, his truck got ahead of me. When I passed him again, he did it again. Barking? What the hell? I'm a teacher!!!!

I have felt angry about the "hey beautifuls" I get all the time, but this is absolutely outrageous. I seriously wanted to harm that guy. I didn't have my phone out, or I would've done the photo thing. I could've gotten his license plate too. Next time, I will be prepared.

The weird thing is, my boyfriend, who is really sensitive and wonderful, has never heard most of these comments. He is still surprised when I tell him what someone just said to me. He believes me, but he just doesn't hear them.

Thanks for listening. I hope we can pass more laws that will criminalize this behavior. It really sucks.

Submitted by Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment