Sunday, June 8, 2008

It is currently 94 degrees in New York City.

It is currently 94 degrees in New York City. Like every other woman in this city, I was wearing a sun dress. As the train pulled up to the platform, I walked towards it and felt a hand on my ass. I turned and a guy apologized for "bumping in to me."

I yelled that he hadn't bumped in to me, he had groped me. He turned and walked away so yelled after him "did you think that you could grab someone's ass and nobody would care?" A few guys started looking at him and and me, so I pointed and continued to yell that he had groped me. We got on to different subway cars and the train pulled away.

Three stops later I realized that I didn't feel like going out after all so I switched trains and headed home. Even though I yelled back, I still feel awful and ashamed. I don't ever want to wear this dress again. I keep telling myself that it wasn't my fault for dressing provocatively but I still feel like it was. I wish I had thought to take his picture, as I can see his face perfectly in my mind.

Submitted by Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment