Monday, April 3, 2006

I don't feel so good



I was walking on 181st and St. Nick when this spring chicken of a man says something incomprehensible to me in Spanish. The look in his eye reeked of street harassment. I whipped around and asked, "What did you just say?"

He repeated, somethingsomethingsomething to I responded, "What does that mean?" According to Mr. spring chicken, "It means I think you're pretty."

Now ladies, I'm not fluent, but working in an office that's 95% bilingual you pick up a few things and this young man was definitely not saying "Tu es bonita." My friend with me is fluent in Portuguese and also couldn't recognize what he was saying. Unfortunately for him street harassment feels the same in any language. We snapped his ass.

When asked why he did it, he said, "I just wanted to make her feel good."

Little did he know.

- Emily, Brooklyn

No comments:

Post a Comment